Dental discoloration has many causes, including:
• Surface staining of outer enamel from food, red wine, coffee, tea and nicotine
• With age, enamel wears away and the yellower underlying dentin begins to show through
• Injury to teeth or previous root canals can cause them to turn grey
• Certain medications taken while teeth are developing can cause deep internal staining.
Our doctors use different whitening techniques for different stains:
• Superficial stains are removed with professional whitening treatment, followed by home whitening trays to maintain a bright smile
• Deeper stains respond to internal bleaching where a whitening compound is placed inside the tooth
• Developmental staining and dentin that show through may need to be masked with veneers or cosmetic bonding.
Call to inquire about our “Whitening for Life Program.”